I love clam stuffing. This recipe for portobello mushrooms with a clam stuffing works great as a main course with a salad on the side, or make it as an appetizer using the smaller crimini mushrooms. My secret ingredient is Old Bay Seasoning, which I use for EVERYTHING.
- 2 cans chopped clams ( 6 1/2 oz), juice reserved. My favorite brand is Bar Harbor, but any brand will do fine. If using fresh clams, you will need about a pound of clams to make 1 cup of chopped clams and 1 cup of clam juice.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 6 to 9 large “griller” sized fresh portabella mushroom caps OR about 20 – 24 fresh large mushrooms (white or crimini), stems removed and chopped.
- Optional: fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease a baking sheet pan or line it with parchment paper. Arrange the mushroom caps on the pan with the gills side up.
Sautee mushroom stems, onion, and garlic in one tbsp butter until onion is translucent.
To make stuffing, mix all ingredients except mozzarella cheese, mushroom caps and clam juice together in a large bowl. Add clam juice until the stuffing is moist but not soggy. (I used all of it).
Generously fill the mushroom caps with the stuffing mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, until browned.